Saturday, March 13, 2010

DAY 13

So this is Aaron. I’m taking over for Angela on today’s post. We had an incredibly eventful day 13. Sweetwater, TX is home to the nations largest “Rattle Snake Roundup.” The town is supposedly extremely overpopulated with rattlesnakes, so decades ago farmers got together and started rounding em’ all up. Apparently over the years it has turned into quite an event… I think everyone in west Texas was there today, and let me tell you, that was quite the culture shock… I have never seen so many mullets in all my life… The most Texas of the Texans were certainly in attendance. Anyway, here are some pictures. I guess its normal for the people of Sweetwater to wade in pools of rattlesnakes and think nothing of it… Seriously, there were men in these rattlesnake corrals who would walk through the rattlesnakes as if they were dirt on the floor…
This is Everest's try at a cheesy smile... I guess he thinks closing his eyes has something to do with it..

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I must have been there in spirit with you guys...I had nightmares about snakes last night and I even got bit on my hand!

natalie said...

That mullet is amazing! Is that creepy or what? I would have thought every little breeze or my child touching me would've been a snake and I would have freaked. I knew there was something greata bout that place.

Reeses Pieces said...

Freak that things huge (the snake and the mullet). I can only imagine the weirdos walking around. I love culture shocks though.

Grandma Shauna said...

Thinking about West Texas and Snakes...both of them give me the shivers :) When we moved from W. Texas, I didn't even look in the rear view mirror.

Only a few more weeks and you will be back in civilization... Yay!!